The General Brown School District is working to pick up the pieces after a fire ripped through their bus garage Friday night. Our Amanda Kelley tells us what sparked the fire and how students will be getting to school come Monday morning.
BROWNVILLE, N.Y. - - With some soap and water, bus drivers and district employees are working to clean up the debris. But Friday's electrical fire at the General Brown Bus Garage has caused some major damage.
General Brown School District Superintendent Stephan Vigliotti Sr. said, "At this point the department of transportation supervisor said that all 20 busses are affected and at this point he's not ready to clear any of those buses. So we're evaluating what exactly we need to do to get those buses up and running."
The fire broke out just before 9 p.m. in one of the schools busses and fire officials say there were many obstacles to battle when they arrived.
Jefferson County Director of Fire and Emergency Management Joseph Plummer said, "This was a full garage that contained 20 school busses. Doors were all secured doors weren't able to be opened. So actually fire fighters had to cut holes through the overhead doors to get access into the building."
Two busses were destroyed, but the fire didn't cause any injuries. With every bus out of commission district officials are working hard to formulate a plan and make sure every student has a way to get to school on Monday.
Vigliotti said, "This is a great area and we've received many calls from superintendents across the area volunteering buses for us and so on and so forth. But we're going to take a look at it, evaluate it and see what plan would be the best because it looks as if the busses will be down for at least a period of time."
Officials hope to rent a fleet of buses for the time being and evaluate just how many buses will need replaced after they are inspected, but the damage could have been much worse.
Plummer said, "With the way the building is composed, there's no windows so anybody driving by probably wouldn't have seen the smoke and we probably very easily without the fire detection system would have lost their entire fleet of buses."
The district says they'll continue to work hard this weekend, making sure the fire's impact doesn't reach the classroom.
Several away sporting events were canceled this weekend due to the fire.
However, Monday's classes won't be interrupted. District officials say they have made arrangements to get kids to and from school. The buses just may not say "General Brown" on them. The schedules will remain the same, details can be found at www.gblions.org.