LIVERPOOL, N.Y. -- One student is still in the hospital following an accident during a science class demonstration. Officials were called to Soule Road Middle School in Liverpool around 1 p.m. They say there was a small explosion during the demonstration in the 8th grade science classroom. The demonstration involved methanol gas.
The teacher and three students closest to the demonstration were taken to Upstate University Hospital to be treated for injuries described as “significant burns”. School officials say the teacher and two students have been released. A third female student will remain in the hospital for treatment for the next two to three days.
Report from Thursday at 3:34 p.m.
Four people have been sent to the hospital after a fire this afternoon at Soule Road Middle School in the town of Clay. It happened just after 1 p.m. Our Erin Clarke has the latest details from the school.
YNN CNY: Student remains hospitalized following classroom demonstration
Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
LIVERPOOL, N.Y. -- A science experiment ended with three students and a teacher in the hospital in the Liverpool Central School District.
Officials were called to Soule Road Middle School around 1 p.m. Thursday. They say there was a small combustion during an experiment involving methanol gas in an eighth grade science lab.
The teacher and three students closest to the experiment were taken to Upstate University Hospital with burns.
"I have limited medical background, but the teachers hand was burned pretty well and we have two of our students that had what looked to be pretty significant burns on their neck and face," said Liverpool Superintendent Dr. Richard Johns.
All students from both Soule Road Middle and Elementary schools were evacuated until the building was deemed safe.
Officials say there was minor damage to the classroom.