An Oswego boy knew just what to do when his mother collapsed last month. YNN's Erin Clarke shares his story and the reason why he's now being hailed as a hero.
FULTON, N.Y.-- It was a scary day in April.
"She's just getting a cup of water and then she just froze and fell down. Wouldn't breathe or nothing," said Austin Blance.
Kara O'Neil collapsed because of a bacterial infection. Her 8-year-old son took action.
"I breathed in her mouth and pushed on her chest," said Blance.
Performing CPR immediately on a person who isn't breathing increases their chance of survival. Rescue workers say Austin's quick thinking is the reason Kara is here today.
"I never could imagine in a million years that he had the strength and the courage to be able to do something like that and the composure. There's a lot of adults out there that I think would freeze," said Kara O'Neil.
Kara doesn't know CPR herself. Austin says he learned it from a show on the History Channel. His mom now thinks if the life saving skill is that easy to acquire, everyone should learn it.
"I think it should be something that everybody is taught, maybe in Kindergarten," said O'Neil.
Because you never know who may need your help.
"I love him. He's the best kid in the whole universe and my little hero," said O'Neil.
If you're interested in learning CPR, a number of organizations offer classes, including the American Heart Association. Visit www.heart.org.