SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Eight people are homeless following a fire at 112 Manilla Street in Syracuse. The call came in shortly after 12:30 p.m. on Sunday.
One occupant of the home said it started in the kitchen, which is in the back of the house. Fire Chief Mark McLees said investigators are still trying to determine what cause this fire, since there is no electricity coming to the home at the time. He said the roof and chimney made it difficult getting everything under control.
"The back roof caved in from the amount of fire in the attic. So, now we had an unstable chimney. We had to knock the chimney down with our master stream devices, so that we didn't have to worry about that falling and hitting one of our firefighters," said Mark McLees, Syracuse Fire Chief.
Nobody was hurt in the fire. The Red Cross is assisting the family with food, clothing, and a place to stay.