SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Firefighters said a woman in Syracuse did exactly what she was supposed to when her home caught on fire. Crews were called to the home on John Street around 3:30 p.m. on Saturday afternoon.
The firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke throughout the one-story home. They went in through the rear basement door, which is where the bulk of the fire was located. They were able to get the flames under control in less than ten minutes. Officials said the resident acted quickly, and nobody was hurt.
"The occupant did the right thing. She heard the smoke detector, she got out and called 911. She did exactly what she's supposed to do," said Mark Hatch, Syracuse District Fire Chief.
Investigators are looking into what sparked the fire.