UTICA, N.Y. -- A Utica family reunited after at least four of them were trapped in the top floor of their burning home on Neilson Street on Friday afternoon. The fire department said the fire started around 4:30 p.m. and quickly spread to the top floor and attic.
One family member who arrived after the fire started said he couldn't reach the multiple adults and two children stuck upstairs, but that didn't stop him from saving the day.
"I tried to go upstairs to get my brother and sisters, but then it was fire already there," said Ibrahim Abeulahi, resident. "I couldn't get in, I couldn't go up there. So I had to go behind the house and I had to catch my brother and sister from the window. They had to jump. So that's how it happened."
No injuries have been reported from the fire. Officials are looking into complaints of the smell of gas around the home before the fire started.