DEERFIELD, N.Y. -- An electrical issue with the power lines started a fire in a Deerfield neighborhood Tuesday.
A home on Wells Drive caught fire mid-afternoon around the same time another homeowner on Walker Street said he smelled smoke coming from his electrical box.
National Grid was called to the scene and cut the power to both residences. Firefighters gained control soon after.
"The houses became energized from the entrance wires that go in from the street to the house. We don't know why that happened, but that is what ended up causing the fire at this house here," Assistant Fire Chief Brian DeStefanis said.
Fire officials say the house on Wells Drive suffered minor damage to the roof and attic space. No one was injured.
National Grid officials say after assessing they area they say no one else should be affected.