Firefighters responded to the scene of a fatal fire in Tioga County early Tuesday morning. One person has been confirmed dead. YNN's Carmella Mataloni has the latest.
CANDOR, N.Y. -- Early Tuesday morning members of the Candor Fire Department were called to a house fire at 119 Spencer Road.
After crews arrived the scene, the house was already engulfed in flames.
"Firefighters found a fully envolved structure and were unable to make enterance into the house because of the instense heat and flames," said Captain Martin Kopcho, Candor Fire District.
Crews later discovered a man's body inside the home. Officials said the two story house belonged to a husband and wife pair. Only the man was home at the time of the fire.
Friends of the family said the news is devastating.
"Total shock, total disbelief," said Pam Damier.
Damier said the couple lived in the home for as long as they can remember.
She added, "I just can't believe he is gone. My sister called me at work and I just can't believe it, I'm shocked. I just can't believe it, I just can't. I don't think anyone can."
Investigators said the fire started in a wood stove in the back of the house.