ITHACA, N.Y. -- On a holiday that celebrates sugary treats, Halloween candy makes its way into most homes, but those sweets can be dangerous for pets.
Experts say pet owners should be especially careful when putting out or storing candy to make sure your furry friends can't get into them. Indulging in human treats could end up in an emergency trip to the vet.
While most people know chocolate can cause serious illness in dogs, there are plenty of other allergens hidden inside those Halloween treats that can make your pet sick.
"The sugar content alone is hazardous to them. Many things with nuts in it. Six macadamia nuts alone could kill a dog due to the toxicity it has in it. So people need to be very careful about making sure their pets don't have access to something that might hurt them," said Jim Bouderau, Tompkins County SPCA Director.
And if you don't want your pet to feel left out, make sure you treat them with healthy snacks made just for them.