CITY OF SYRACUSE ANNOUNCES CLOSINGS AND CANCELLATIONS DUE TO HURRICANE SANDY
Meetings, Scholastic Activities, To Be Cancelled; Trash Pickup Will Be On Normal Schedule
Miner: We Encourage Everyone to Remain Calm, Stay Indoors, Off Roads Tonight
¬SYRACUSE, N.Y. – The City of Syracuse has announced a large number of closings and cancellations due to Hurricane Sandy. Mayor Stephanie A. Miner met earlier with Lieutenant Governor Bob Duffy, County Executive Joanie Mahoney, and leadership from local and state emergency management agencies to discuss the emergency response.
Syracuse Mayor Stephanie A. Miner said “We encourage everyone to remain calm but vigilant, stay indoors and off the roads, and check on your neighbors and family. Together we can ensure everyone gets through this storm safely.”
The closings and cancellations are as follows:
• The Syracuse Planning Commission meeting will be cancelled and rescheduled for next Monday, November 5, 2012.
• Syracuse City Schools have cancelled all after school activities. This includes Say Yes to Education after school programs, Parent University classes, and athletics. Students will be dismissed at their regularly scheduled times.
• The Department of Parks, Recreation, and Youth Programs will cancel all after school, afternoon, and evening activities including the evening Teen programs at Parks and Boys and Girls Club sites, adult and youth fitness classes, and open swim sessions. Pools will close at 6 PM.
• Betts, Paine, and Petit Branch Libraries will close at 5:00 PM
• DPW trash pickups will operate on a normal schedule.
The city encourages residents to check the city website as well as Facebook and Twitter for live updates as they happen. The city will continue to give updates to closings and cancellations as they become available.