Fire damages Syracuse apartment building
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- People who live in a Syracuse apartment building that caught fire late Friday afternoon won't be allowed back in their homes until at least Saturday.
The call came in at about 4 p.m. at the Moses DeWitt apartment building on North Townsend Street. The fire started in a dryer, but quickly spread into the wall as well as numerous hidden pockets in the building.
"At that point, the fire was traveling from the third floor to the fourth floor and up into the roof area. So when you have crews working on separate floors, you have to duplicate that effort. It's not just a one story fire. We had to put a lot of people to work," Syracuse Fire Chief Mark McLees said.
It took crews about 45 minutes to get the fire under control.
The building has 38 units and the fire chief says there is extensive water damage throughout.