Shigellosis cases on the rise
ONONDAGA COUNTY, N.Y. -- The number of confirmed cases of the gastrointestinal illness known as Shigellosis is on the rise in Onondaga County.
The county health department says the amount of confirmed and possible cases has now reached 34, which is up nine from last week. Health officials are still working to trace the cause of the outbreak.
Shigellosis is a bacterial infection and the health department says the best way to stop it from spreading is proper hygiene.That includes some of the following steps:
- Wash all fruits and vegetables and cook them to the appropriate temperatures
- Don't prepare food for others if you're sick
- Wash your hands with soap frequently and help children wash their hands as well
- Throw away used diapers properly
- Disinfect diaper changing areas after use