Lightning sparks fire in Binghamton
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. -- The call came in around 11:45 a.m. on Saturday for a report of a fire at the Twin Tiers Eyecare Associates on Vestal Avenue. When firefighters arrived, flames were shooting out of the skylight on top of the building.
Binghamton's Deputy Chief said the building sustained little damage as crews quickly extinguished the fire on the roof, then moved inside to preserve files and records in the office. The fire occurred during a heavy thunderstorm, and officials believe that was the cause.
"It was a lightning strike, people in the surrounding businesses saw the lightning hit, then a few minutes later, saw smoke coming from the building and called it in right away," said Binghamton's Deputy Fire Chief Brian O'Loughlin.
O'Loughlin said the business will likely be closed for a few days, but should reopen sometime next week.