Broome County remembers flood, one year later
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. -- Officials in Broome County also reflected on the anniversary Friday. Local leaders were joined by members of the business community and representatives from the DEC.
Over 20,000 county residents were evacuated from homes and businesses at this time last year. Officials say they continue to work towards helping rebuild the community, but they're also focused on long term flood mitigation projects to prepare for the future.
County leaders say that while the region has made progress, they recognize that many are still picking up the pieces and dealing with the emotional stress of the flood.
"I see it every day as I drive through my hometown of Conklin, homes and businesses that are still boarded up. Having rebuilt my own home twice, I know how it feels. We will continue to fight for every available resource as together we will rebuild Broome County," said Broome Country Executive Debbie Preston.
Preston says one of the biggest issues still facing homeowners is the issue of buyouts. She says she hopes towns and municipalities will hear an answer within the next month.