More details released on cause of deadly fire
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
NEWARK VALLEY, N.Y. -- Fire officials have released more details on exactly what caused a deadly fire in Newark Valley.
Captain Matthew Porcari, a firefighter with the Owego department, died when a floor collapsed beneath him in the home on Chamberlin Road Monday night.
Investigators say the fire started in a detached shed next to the home. There were three rabbits inside, and electricity was provided by an extension cord from the home that ran to a power supply strip in the shed. Officials say the cause of the fire has been isolated to either that power supply strip, or the lights plugged into it.
The fire destroyed the house and the shed, along with a camper and truck that were nearby.
Meanwhile, the community is preparing to say goodbye to Porcari. Calling hours will be held at the Owego Middle School Saturday afternoon, with funeral services to follow on Sunday.