NEW YORK STATE -- Governor Cuomo delivered some good news to local communities hit hard by last year's flooding. The state is planning to cover the local share of costs associated with the response and recovery to Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee.
Typically, FEMA covers 75 percent of disaster repair costs and the state splits the remaining 25 percent with municipalities. Instead, Cuomo has allocated $61 million to go to 25 counties still digging out from the disaster.
For local leaders, it will be a huge in helping them get their heads back above water.
"It’s a good, very good day for our locals because now, given our property tax cap, without this additional funding it would mean more services cut and more difficulty for the workforce to continue," said Assemblywoman Donna Lupardo.
The $61 million is a combination federal and state funding that's already been applied for and approved by the state, so there is no additional cost to cover these expenses.