ONONDAGA COUNTY, N.Y. -- A gas leak forced the evacuation of a McDonald's restaurant in Nedrow. Crews were called to the location on South Salina Street a little after 8 a.m.
According to officials, the gas line behind the grill pulled away, filling the restaurant with natural gas. The building was evacuated, and employees called 911 when they weren't able to shut the gas off.
Officials said there was concern because the building has a gas hot water heater in the basement, and they had difficulty closing the valve.
"They painted the meter when they painted. They painted right over the valve and the paint was hard. I had a two and a half foot crescent wrench with two guys on it pushing it down to shut it off,” said Harold Smith, Nedrow Fire Chief.
Code enforcement was called in to check out the building before it reopens.